After a perfect summer holiday with her boyfriend Christian, Tara returns to the Academy to begin her second year. On her arrival is the news that the Prix de Fonteyn — a very prestigious ballet competition — will be hosted in Sydney. Tara is excited to be chosen to perform a solo in the launch celebration at the Opera House, but faces some serious competition in the form of Grace — a beautiful young dancer who studied at the Royal Ballet School and is Miss Raine's goddaughter.
Excited to reconnect with her friends Kat and Sammy, it quickly becomes apparent to Tara that it will be a strange year as Sammy works multiple jobs to pay his tuition and BBF Kat is no longer at the Academy. Abigail has undertaken counselling during the break and tries to transform herself into a 'nice' person; and to the surprise of Christian and ex-girlfriend, Abigail, Sammy is also kissing lots of girls in the little spare time he has.
- Winner of the 2013 Silver Logie for Most Outstanding Children’s Program
- Winner of the Children’s Television Producer of the Year (Werner Film Productions) at the SPAA Independent Producer Awards 2012 for Dance Academy Series 2
- Winner of the 2012 Australian Writers’ Guild AWGIE Award for Best Children’s Television Screenplay (Episode 25: Samantha Strauss)
- Winner of the Bronze World Medal in Children’s / Youth Programs at the New York Festival’s 2013 Television & Film Awards
- Winner of the Best Companion Website in the Tweens / Teens Category at the 2013 Kidscreen Awards, New York
- Winner of the Gold Plaque for Best Children’s Series at the 2013 Hugo Television Awards, Chicago
- Winner of the 2013 Australian Directors Guild Award for Best Direction in Children’s Television (Episode 25: Daniel Nettheim)
- Nominated Best Children’s Fiction Television Program, ATOM Awards 2012
- Nominated in the Children’s Television Category at the 2012 Australian Writers’ Guild AWGIE Awards (Episode 10: Roger Monk and Samantha Strauss, Episode 24: Liz Doran)
- Highly Commended for Best Children’s Program at the 2012 Asian Television Awards
- Nominated Best Television Script, Queensland Literary Awards 2012 (Episode 24: Liz Doran)
- Nominated Best Children’s Television Series, AACTA Awards 2013
- Nominated Best TV Series and Best Actress (Xenia Goodwin), International ‘Gold Panda’ Awards for TV Drama at the Sichuan TV Festival 2013
- Nominated Best Direction in a Children’s TV Program, Australian Directors Guild Awards 2013 (Episode 8: Lynne Maree Danzey)